iOS is the mobile operating system developed by Apple Inc and is the mobile version of the OS X operating system used in Apple computers.
- Developing iOS (Swift) apps is the perfect starting point for learning to create apps that run on iPhone and iPad
- Many software developers are surprised that how different it will be to jump into the Apple developer world if it's not what you're used to.
So in this step by step tutorials, we will explore not only the code, but the most important ideas, techniques, and skills that you will always need when doing any iOS development. After completing this step by step tutorials, you will;
- Get comfortable with the Xcode 9 and the Swift 4 programming language.
- Cover how to create iOS projects.
- Build iOS user interfaces that can automatically adjust themselves to work on multiple devices, from the smallest iPhone to the largest iPad, and everything in between, including the latest iPhone X.
Before starting iOS development, the first and the most important thing you will need is a Mac running macOS High Sierra, or at least Sierra.
- In Apple development world, it is a good idea to be on the latest version of macOS.
- The second thing you will need is Xcode 9 installed on that Mac.
- It is assumed that you are familiar with the Swift programming language. You do not need to be a Swift master, but at least you can comfortably read and understand Swift code.
Xcode is a free IDE for macOS containing a suite of software development tools developed by Apple for developing software for macOS, iOS, watchOS, and tvOS.
- The latest stable release is version 9.2 and is available via the Mac App Store free of charge for macOS High Sierra and macOS Sierra users.
- In the Apple developer world, everybody uses Xcode.
- Some developers might add additional tools, but there is no Lite or Pro or Enterprise editions, there's just one Xcode, it is free, and it includes everything for developing across all Apple platforms, such iOS, macOS, tvOS, and watchOS.
- It includes all the features you need to design, develop, and debug an app.
- Xcode also contains the iOS SDK, which extends Xcode to include the tools, compilers, and frameworks you need specifically for iOS development.
To download the latest version of Xcode,
- Open the App Store app on your Mac
- Type "Xcode" in the search field and press the Enter.
- You will see the Xcode app at the top of search result.
- Click Get and then click Install App.
- It will ask for your Apple ID and password.
- Once the installation is complete, Xcode will be available in your Applications directory.